Through the efforts of Penn Alps and Spruce Forest, and miller John Childers, the water wheel has been installed. Using a crane from Beitzel Corporation Childers, Cliff Maust of Penn Alps and Jim Cummings guided the wheel into its new home.Tour Home
Originally built in 1797, Stanton’s Mill functioned continuously until 1994 when modernization costs became prohibitive. Recently restored by Kentucky miller John Childers, Stanton’s Mill once again appears much as it did in the 1850s. A water wheel, re-installed in Spring 2006, completed the picture. Electric power is however used as the water chase has been dry since the Grantsville dam was drained and closed many years ago.
Stanton’s Mill was always the center of the Village at Little Crossings. Used as a meeting place, voting station, post office, and even a distillery over the years, mills like this one manufactured not only flours, but also the social life of the community. The restoration of Stanton's Mill signifies a commitment to continuing the legacy of agriculture and fine craft in the region.
Stanton's Mill is open to the public during the summer season (hours vary) and for school tours by prior arrangement year round. Stanton Mill flours and mixes are available for sale at Penn Alps.