John Markley was the first white settler in Salisbury, arriving in the area from Philadelphia. When he built his home north of Salisbury, PA around 1775, it sat on an 800-acre tract granted by the King of England.
The house was marked, disassembled and moved to a new site in 1895. In order to be moved to Spruce Forest in 1985, the two and ½ story house was disassembled again. Markley House is the oldest building restored and preserved at Penn Alps.
The ground floor is now the studio of bird sculptor Gary Yoder.
While visiting Gary Yoder, be sure to visit the second floor of the Markley House. Elizabeth Smead will be with us some weekends. She will be sharing family histories and teaching about family genealogy.